Tuesday, December 26, 2006

I'll be putting a pinstrip around the cutout area to set it off from the center. since I already had the pattern that I used to trace out the cut lines, I used it as a templat to build a bending jig. I have a ash-walnut-ash sandwich that I am gluing together. I figured pre gluing the strips together would be faster than doing each one individually. Here are some pics of the bending jig.

I need to do this twice, then I'll rip the strips to width on my band saw. That will give four pieces which I will scarf together on the boat.

I'll save the form and continue it around to make the full cockpit shape which I will use to glue up the combing lip. I'll probably do an ash-walnut lamination for the combing as well.

I wouldn't try this method with more complex shapes. The tightest pinstrip curve happens to be on an area where the strips are all in a plane. If there was any deck curvature, this method would be almost impossible since the three glued up strips are so much stiffer than individual strips. There are a couple of transition points along the side which require beveling, which I think is going to be easier with the glued up pinstripe.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home